MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred says that the city of St. Petersburg and Pinellas County lawmakers will be given time to work out a deal with the Rays.

13

During a chilly November afternoon, Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred informed the media at the owners’ meeting that there has been absolutely no discussion, nor should there be, regarding the relocation of the Rays. He remained optimistic that a deal would soon be finalized by the city of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, and the Rays to complete the new stadium as part of the $6.5 billion Gas Light project, and that the agreement with the Rays, which was formulated in July, will be concluded shortly.

“Given the devastation in that area, it’s kind of only fair to give the local governments in the Tampa Bay region an opportunity to sort of figure out where they are, what they have available in terms of resources, what’s doable,” Manfred said Wednesday at a news conference after a Major League Baseball owners meeting.

Commissioner Manfred confirmed the report from Rant Sports that the decision for the Tampa Bay Rays to play the 2025 season in Tampa was made by Major League Baseball in conjunction with the Yankees, with input from the Rays. As previously stated by Manfred, league officials sought a minor league park in the area that could meet Major League standards. Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees’ winter home, was chosen due to its size and the minimal updates required to be ready for regular season play in March.

“It’s one thing to make an interim arrangement for 2025, which we’ve done,” Manfred said. “When you get into another year, there’s obviously going to be another interim arrangement unless they get the Trop fixed, and I think that second year of an interim arrangement, you need a plan as to how you’re going to get into a permanent facility.”

Depite the recent slowdown of Pinellas County officals to sign off on the bond deal